Sunday, September 14, 2014

Purge!

As often as you see the word Purge in any Warhammer Fantasy or 40k work of fiction, this post pertains strictly to Magic: The Gathering. I am performing a massive purge of bulk rares and overall valuable cards, hopefully to gain some money.

I found myself in quite an interesting predicament in terms of the overall game of Magic. I realized that playing Standard for me was beginning to lose its luster. I, at one point, wished to build very strong decks with quite a high caliber of card quality. I built a RUG midrange deck with 10 planeswalkers and a number of mythic cards. For me, it just wasn't worth it overall. I had just as much fun playing a Mono-White Soldier deck, which featured no real serious value cards. It just played creatures and anthem effects to win the game. Simple yet effective.

I do enjoy the idea of Standard, and I intend to keep the deck built to play occasionally at Arkham and Beyond Comics when I am in the Frederick area. I realize that my potential time and effort going to GPs or any Opens are both zero, and I have frankly zero interest in doing so. I'd rather just enjoy my time in my local meta, playing for fun.

Modern and Legacy, however, are definitely formats I would like to break into. I have a built Modern deck, which I absolutely love to play. I plan to build Legacy Smallpox, a deck very similar to my Modern deck. I love the game of Magic overall, but until recently, I just struggled justifying the money associated with it. I already play an expensive hobby in Warhammer, and I am looking to move away from holding value in both.

I still intend to participate in the pre-release events and the release draft of Khans of Tarkir. The set has me really excited, especially for the fetch lands. Mardu Horde all the way! That Wingmate Roc will be mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment