Saturday, May 10, 2014

Success with G/W Aggro

This past FNM, I went 4-0 and placed 1st with G/W aggro. This was the first time placing 4-0 at Arkham Games, and I was quite pleased with both my performance and the deck performance. Here is the deck list:

4 Dryad Militant
4 Fleecemane Lion
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
4 Boon Satyr
4 Loxodon Smiter

Planeswalkers
1x Ajani, Caller of the Pride
Instant/Sorcery
1x Unflinching Courage
2x Banishing Light
2x Warrior's Lesson
4x Advent of the Wurm
4x Selesnya Charm
3x Call of the Conclave
Lands
4x Temple Garden
4x Temple of Plenty
7x Forest
7x Plain

After the event, I was able to trade for 1 more copy of Caller of the Pride, completing the deck to my current satisfaction.

There are some definite choices made in constructing this deck, and I feel fairly justified in making them. First, I opted for Dryad Militant instead of Experiment One in the interest of mana-fixing. As you may see, I am not running Mana Confluence (true to form of course). This means that I will be sacrificing some ability to cast a specific 1 drop into a G/W 2 drop. To accomplish a similar value, I play Dryad instead. You will also note that I am not playing Voice of Resurgence. This is due to the card being $25, which I am strictly not going to make $100 worth of value for a card that is rotating in the semi-near future. So, I have opted for Loxodon Smiter, which still provides significant value. It cannot be countered, and it is a 4/4 for 3. It also bumps the curve up slightly to still allow for me to not play Mana Confluence. The final choice I made was in the 3 mana Ajani. He is far superior in this aggro, creature heavy shell. Flying and double strike easily won me games.

I am still working on the number of Banishing Light that I need for the deck. 2 seemed to work fine, and the Warrior's Lessons have proven quite useful, easily drawing 2 cards in several match-ups. The mana curve worked out nicely, and I have a solid sideboard with Unflinching Courage and Mistcutter Hydra to deal with opposing Aggro and Control.

What do you think of the deck? 

No comments:

Post a Comment