Saturday, May 3, 2014

Competitive REL Magic

Today, I attended my first high level competitive Magic event held at Arkham Games.

I solidly did not enjoy my time during the event. I dropped after Round 4.

1. I decided last minute to play Mono-Red, a deck that I am very familiar with. I was really feeling the Mono-Green, but I went against my gut. This is, of course, the death of any serious decision I make. It turns out that I should have solidly played Mono-Green against Mono-Blue, Esper, and another Mono-Red deck.

2. I really do not enjoy the emphasis on allowing opponent's to miss triggers and play the game incorrectly. It frustrates me that the attitude is based on solidly taking complete advantage of your opponent. I have never really enjoyed gaming like that, and I don't think I ever will. This is the primary reason that I will stay out of that competitive level of Magic.

I think that I may wish to stick to just playing Friday Night Magic on a very casual level. The games are generally more fun, and I can relax and just play the game. I still have that competitive spirit for the game, as I do with any game, but I don't think I can enjoy myself in a game that encourages deceit through omission. It's a shame that the game reaches such a high level of legislation that this is the eventual result. I accept that it is what it is, but I do not wish to be a part of it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment