Monday, October 21, 2013

Experiments with 40k Tournaments


These past few weeks have proven to be a number of personal and professional experiments. The personal experiment recently has been related to my attempts to make some major changes to the 40k scene at Arkham Games. The first of the major experiments was the use of Torrent of Fire. It is an excellent program, and Chip is a very helpful, motivated individual looking to change 40k. Unfortunately, the program proved to be difficult to use at the store. That’s OK, and it doesn’t make ToF any less powerful or game changing as a whole. It unfortunately did not pan out as planned. I have found some new programs to use, and it also helps change up the overall format of the tournament. These modifications, as an ever changing and improving formation, will hopefully make the tournaments run more smoothly at Arkham. 
 
Another major experiment came in the form of the Random Doubles tournament. In the end, this tournament format proved to achieve none of my intended objectives. I had hoped to achieve a few specific results. The first of which was to create a variety of new pairings, opponents, and tables being used at the tournament. This worked in the first round, but, due to the format that had been suggested, the second round proved to be a lot of repeats. In fact, one table just changed partners. This did not really vary the players as much as I had hoped. The second objective was the hopeful arrangement of persons with a fairly diverse score range and potential for victory. Essentially, I had hoped to see some new faces at the top of the pyramid. This did not happen either. It was the same faces that took top spots. Finally, I had hoped to breed some new friendships and fun games, and this objective was partially attained. I think the majority of folks had fun games, but I think there were some that just did not. In fact, the aftermath proved more toxic than in the past few tournaments. I’m not sure why this particular tournament bred so much hate, but it did. What can I do about it? 
 
It seems reasonable to consider other routes of tournaments, and the previous formats seemed to be much better for everyone. A very small change will be made to tournaments in the emphasis on Victory Points instead of Win-Loss path. This is easier to pair and program with the software I have available. This is in some ways a change for the sake of ease, but it also gives folks a greater chance at victory, instead of losing one game and being out of the running.
I will share more thoughts on this idea at a later time.

1 comment:

  1. Glad your goals were partially met, at least. We ended up sticking with pre-planned teams for our last one, but there was some debate on the subject, mostly over the potential for (im)balance. Ultimately we had the usual bruised feelings that result from defeat in a competitive event, but nothing out of the ordinary. I'm hoping to get a tournament report up sometime this week with pictures.

    ReplyDelete