Thursday, September 19, 2013

Moneyhammer: Is it a Problem In Competitive Play?

On one of the better known (and personally disliked) 40k blogs, a very long draconian post emerged there concerning the state of 40k and its competitive scene. The post established that the game had devolved into a money war, with the newest codices simply destroying the previously published books out of the water. Therefore, anyone who wanted to make the newest and most powerful army was forced to buy new supplements and models. This, of course, led into a discussion about the overall pricing of GW models and their business model, which, I won’t deny, is extremely flawed in many ways.
This post led me to think about a really important question about the game: Do I have to purchase a new army monthly in order to be competitive? My answer is simply no. In the end, wise money spending does help make 40k a much more manageable hobby monetarily. Using other websites, such as Ebay and Amazon, can help reduce the cost overall. Even in my case, I do all of my shopping with my FLGS in order to support the store. This means that I spend less on the game overall, but I still make purchases as needed or by desire.
Aside from monetary problems, the question also brings up the competitive aspect of 40k. Frankly, I think that it is possible to build a competitive army with every single codex available. Allies, Fortifications, psychic powers, and other rules allow every codex the opportunity to create a powerful combination of units. While a certain regional meta-game will make certain codices less powerful, the FLGS has its own meta-game that is worth considering. 6th edition truly has a large amount of competitive builds, but each of these builds has a fairly defined and clear weakness to it. Wave Serpents in Eldar may prove to be the tough match at the moment, but the Space Marine codex may be the balancing factor in this game of Rock-Paper-Scissors. Regardless, it is foolish to play with a mindset that each codex necessitates a whole new army. Warhammer is not like Magic: The Gathering which is best cards or defeat.
To be honest, the post isn’t really worth this post. It is vitriolic at best, and frankly, the post is so negative, it isn’t really even founded in any solid fact. In the end, I felt I need to rebut this stupidity in my own tiny corner of the blogosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment