Wednesday, August 28, 2013

My Musings Before the Avalanche of Grad School

After quite a long hiatus from Warhammer 40k/Fantasy due to my summer coursework, I have come back with a vengeance. At least in the “research” part of the game, I have been increasing my 40k awareness. So far, I have reached a couple of conclusions concerning the game at the moment.
Holy cow, Eldar have come back with a vengeance. I remember a very similar occurrence during the 4th/5th edition codex. Eldar simply overtook many other opponents through extreme mobility, cheaper units, and the overall assault power of Harlequins. In addition to the return of Eldar, mechanized armies have also come back to dominate the tournament scene. Granted, this is primarily due to the Wave Serpent and its undercosted wargear, but it proves that mech is not dead.
With the advent of both Eldar and Tau, allies are even more powerful and perhaps entirely necessary to build a competitive list. Looking at the variety of units and combinations that people have been bringing to competitive events, you need an equally diverse set of tools to handle each list. Thankfully, the allies system allows for all players to bring any tools they may need. For me personally, I know that I will need some allies in my Grey Knights army to handle enemy lists, particularly an Eldar opponent. Thankfully, I have my Tau army, which provides quite an excellent ally for this purpose.
Grey Knights, as a codex, excel in bringing mobile s4-6 anti-infantry shots along with s7-8 shots for vehicle destruction. They have, however, some glaring issues: no reliable AP1-2 shooting and no reliable AV 14 destruction outlets. Rending from the psycannons can certainly destroy a AV 14 vehicle, but it will take a large amount of shots to do so. Tau, however, bring both of these useful tools to my arsenal, without much overhead cost for a mandatory HQ and Troop choice. It will take some testing and thought, but I think that I can make it happen.
Daemons struck me as crazy army when I first read the book. I felt as if the assault potential from 5 FMCs along with screamers and other fast units could become the assault army to win. People have been having some success with Daemons at competitive events, but it seems these lists use the Daemons Princes primarily as psykers to lock down units that can defeat the Princes, and then they fly into any easily killed units. Playing this list more, however, shows that this list is still susceptible to the “all eggs in one basket” syndrome. It’s an elite army that can fall apart due to a bad string of dice. I feel as if I need to incorporate some other elements of the codex into the build to defeat more balanced armies.
These are my thoughts so far. Once I have a GK/Tau army created, I will post it up for review.

3 comments:

  1. Eagerly awaiting your upcoming list - at some point we're going to have to get in an actual game. I'm curious to see what Tau allies you end up using, as it seems Grey Knights already possess most of the potential strengths Tau might provide. The Daemon codex is proving much harder to figure out than I thought; effective, but there's quite a bit of play for subtlety. I'm eventually going to have to break down and use the Fateweaver/Grimoire of True Names combo, but haven't broken down quite yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An actual game would be fantastic. I have been so thoroughly busy with Grad school and other stuff, so 40k has been a lower priority. I want to go to another 4Horsemen tournament; they have always been a boatload of fun.

    I feel your pain with the Fatey/Grimoire. It's so good, why not do it? There is a part of me that just hopes I can find another way to make the codex a threat, besides a super gimmicky trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm finding it plenty threatening even without the Grimoire/Fate combo, but a 2++ rerollable save makes it so much easier to breach a Tau castle.

    ReplyDelete