Monday, April 22, 2013

40k Daemons: First Game Impressions

On Saturday, I played a game of Warhammer 40k with my good friend Chris. I had run Daemons in the Apocalypse game near the end of March, but I wanted to try them out in a 1v1 scenario. We rolled for deployment and objectives; The results were Dawn of War and The Relic.

I took my box of Daemon models that I had and quickly threw a list together. The list turned out a little like this:
Bloodthirster
Lord of Change
- Master Level 3, Exalted Reward (took a PortalGlyph)
20 Bloodletters
- Bloodreaver, Lesser Gift (AP 2 Sword)
10 Plaguebearers
6 Fiends
8 Flamers
2 Daemons Princes
- Both MoK, Wings and Armor

My buddy Chris took his Iron Warriors Chaos Space Marines. The list went something like this:
Daemon Prince
-MoK, Wings, Armor
Chaos Lord
- Axe of Blind Fury, Terminator Armor
5 Terminators
-Various Loadouts
Hellbrute with Multi-Melta, Powerfist
Hellbrute with Missile Launcher, Reaper Autocannon
2 Squads of 10 CSM
- Fearless Icon, Melta, Champion with Power Sword, Meltabombs
-Rhinos
Vindicator
2 Maulerfiends

The game started pretty slow. I flew my FMCs forward, and I marched the ground Daemons across the field. The Warpstorm gave me the Slaanesh attack, knocking out a few of my Bloodletters. Nothing more happened.

Chris responded with the Daemon Prince and the Maulerfiends charging into some of my units. The combats dragged on, and I was deep into assault. The Terminators charged my Bloodthirster, had to challenge him, lost combat and got run down 0.0.

The game continued with a lot of combat, and I Smashed EVERYTHING. Daemon Princes, Bloodthirster and the Lord of Change wrecked combat everywhere. They would kill their opposition, and then they would fly over to the important combats and help to clean up. At the end of my turn 4, Chris conceded with only Rhinos left.

First Impressions
- I am very stupid for not having used the Portalglyph as soon as possible. I kept forgetting about the wargear. It would have helped me to take the Relic (which I could have taken next turn had Chris not conceded). I can't speak to it's effectiveness because of this.
- Lord of Change with Mastery Level 3 is excellent. For 25 points, it is very worthwhile to take. In the future, I believe I should grab one Change power. For this game, I grabbed 3 Divination powers. These powers were very useful for buffing my army, but it left the Lord of Change unable to really deal any damage.
-The Bloodthirster is A BEAST. It killed nearly triple its points. 4 S10 Smash attacks on the charge make it quite effective in close combats against vehicles or ICs. WS 10 along with I9 is a crazy stat-line.
- Fiends lost some of their appeal in this codex. They are still capable of being very fast and hitting very hard. I think this game may not have showcased their true potential.
- Flamers are not really all that bad. They can put some serious damage on infantry units, but they definitely lost some of their strength due to being only AP 4.
- I need to try and find a solution to Bloodletters versus Dreadnoughts. It is very tough to find beyond giving them a Greater Reward and hoping for some sort of effective upgrade.
- Daemon Princes can also do some major work in Close Combat. Not close to Bloodthirsters, but they are still pretty crazy.
- The Warpstorm table is somewhat hit or miss. There are a number of pretty excellent results on the chart, but most of them are just mediocre shooting attacks. Rolling a 4 for -1 invulnerable save is HORRENDOUS, as is blowing up characters and army-wide instability.
- Instability is also hit or miss. Some combats, it gave me a strong fighting chance, but in other combats, it really messed me up.
- Both of these comments lead into this primary response: The randomness of the army. If you are willing to take a few gambles, Daemons are the army for you. They are still close combat masters, and their FMCs rule the skies.

I had a lot of fun with the Daemons, and I definitely want to get my models built and painted. First, I need to graduate college :P

No comments:

Post a Comment