Monday, March 11, 2013

A Tiny Rant

So, I have been pondering some of the major issues I find myself confronted with. Today, I want to talk about something that I have found to be a personal issue. This issue is likely based on the fact that I don't like the concept much. In two words, I find this aspect of college to really grate against my soul:

Greek Life

Granted, I am not a part of any Greek organization, but I find myself constantly put off by the concepts of Greek life. The whole Brotherhood/Sisterhood is a crock of shit. I know plenty of men and women, who frankly do nothing more than stab each other in the back. They don't really care for ALL of their brothers and sisters; they just like the ones that they are friends with. This to me defeats the major purpose of Greek Life.

Secondly, the price seems completely outrageous. I would never in a million years want to pay $400 (IDK the standard rate, but this is the figure I heard from someone about some Greek life; frankly, I don't give a shit) for a t-shirt, some networking, and mandatory bullshit. Why in the hell would I do that? $400 pays for nearly 20% of rent for an apartment. It pays for at least 2 weeks worth of food. NO. Forget that noise.

Perhaps it's just me being a weirdo, but I find Greek life a very image and shallow means to identify oneself with a group. I REALLY don't care for an organization that insists that I attend meetings or do some charitable event, just for a social aspect. Oh, so you have to be a living breathing male to get into this frat? Cool! NOT. Nota Bene: Honors Societies are different, mainly because there is some rigorous aspect to the application process.

I felt like ranting about this, and I figured that my blog would be a good place for it. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment