Sunday, February 17, 2013

World of Warcraft: Trading Card Game Standard Tournament

This past Saturday, I attended a WoWTCG standard tournament hosted at Arkham Games. I had a decent amount of fun, but I found my deck fairly behind the curve in terms of performance compared to the other decks I played.

Some things I noticed:
WoW cards really favor the tribal decks. The mechanics and interactions definitely benefit having a tribal deck. An example of this is the Murloc deck that took first. Every card benefited from having other Murlocs on the field and attacking with them wildly. I didn't want to play a tribal deck within WoW cards. I very much prefer a spell based game, because I find those the most interesting. Creatures and Allies are cool, but I'd rather win through casting spells. It seems that the standard meta won't really allow for that.

So, I find myself disinterested in playing the game at any competitive level. I don't really want to invest myself in the cards. I will say that the community interactions were much better, and I enjoyed playing all three of my opponents. That said, it may be a while before I really start trying to play the game at a higher level.

No comments:

Post a Comment