Monday, December 3, 2012

Community: The Impact It Has On Gaming

Greetings!

It has been a very long while since my last blog post; I mostly blame school for that one. :P It has been quite hectic, but I'll have some hobby progress to report in another post.

This post, I wanted to discuss the positive and negative effects the community can have on gaming and individual gamers. I would argue that the community is one of the most important aspects of a game. For many, it's the friends that bring them back to gaming. This is definitely the case for me. When I play WoW or other MMOs, I find myself drawn to a certain type of community. I find those who are like-minded, and we bond over the game. The same is true of Magic and Warhammer; the major difference is the ability to play many MMOs by yourself and the latter requiring another participant.

MMOs (I'm mainly thinking of League of Legends and WoW) generally have a decent community, but those choice people will ruin your experience. You can't avoid them; they will appear and they will ruin the experience. My advice? Find your core group and stick with them. Find a cool ranked team, find a solid guild, and you will have excellent experiences. It's a pretty simple fix.

The tabletop games, however, have a totally different issue. It is generally more difficult to avoid those lackluster gamers. They are there, and they are likely to stay. What can you do about them? You can try to enact change in your store. Bring up your concerns to the community. Make a change. Host a new event, or create a discussion board to invite debate. You may be surprised by your results.

I have a few more points in mind, but this makes up the jist of my post. Overall, I find myself drawn to games with strong communities that are positive. The negative communities (looking at you LoL) make me want to quit the game.

Be a cool dude. Everyone will have more fun.

1 comment:

  1. -chuckles-...I think I know what inspired this blog post.

    ReplyDelete