Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Thoughts on the NOVA

I will start this post by first saying I did not attend NOVA; I am simply commenting on the top lists and standings.

During 5th, I took a good bit of my tournament structure from the NOVA. It was very well balanced as a mission packet, and it promoted a solid happy gaming environment for competitive play. This is according to a number of folks I talked to personally and through podcasts/40k media. My only issue was the use of table quarters as a victory condition, but I was willing to compromise considering that table quarters was a deployment type.

Looking through the 2012 NOVA rules packets and mission structure, I was hesitant and skeptical of the format. I thought it did not reflect the structure and style of 6ed at all. The prevalence of table quarters and their importance in the tournament was far too great. I think that this past NOVA was not a balanced tournament at all. It was a new version of 6ed, which reflected the likes and dislikes of the tournament designers and creators. Table quarters has little to no precedent as a victory condition in this edition. It was little more than a large scale RTT with a specific set of parameters that took 6ed and altered it heavily.

As far as I am concerned, I will not be attending the NOVA unless some major modifications are made. In addition, I have little inspiration from the tournament structure. I have no intentions of using its structure and concepts for my own tournaments. It's a shame really; I was hoping it would meet the expectations they set for 5ed.
 

1 comment:

  1. I wouldn't be so quick to write it off. Given the time frame and sheer breadth of material to choose from in 6th, there wasn't much else they could have done. Arbitrary choices or not, the tournament meta is probably going to be unsettled all year, with TOs calibrating their events as best they can. Adepticon may not have lived up to its ideal of a perfectly balanced tournament environment, but I'm not sure anyone even knows what that is right now.

    ReplyDelete