Saturday, July 30, 2011

Dreamwizards 1500 Tournament Game 1

My first opponent was Dameon Green (who actually went on to take Best Overall). I have actually read and visited his blog (Khepri's Eternal Legion. Check the blog roll). Great looking army, without a doubt. He was a very nice guy; it's rare to find an opponent who agrees with you to cheat each other to victory :P

His list: Chaos Space Marines

2 Daemon Princes with Gift of Chaos
3 Dreadnoughts with Autocannon/ Missile Launcher
2 Rhinos with 6 Chaos Space Marines
3 Defilers

My list:
Rune Priest with Chooser of the Slain
Wolf Priest with Saga of the Hunter
3 Wolf Guard with Combi-Melta and Power Fist
(2) 5 Wolf Scouts with Meltagun
7 Grey Hunters with Meltagun and Wolf Standard in a Drop Pod
(2) 8 Grey Hunters with Meltagun and Wolf Standard in a Rhino
(3) 5 Long Fangs with 4 Missiles

It was a tough mission from the beginning. Guaranteed 3 turns of night fighting... ugh. Not even Acute Senses can do much to stop that. While his beginning turns of shooting were terrible, mine were not much better. Then his armor wall hit my lines, and the game was practically over. He massacred me, and managed to claim all of the objectives.

This may be a good time to bring up some of the more negative aspects of this tournament. This mission sucked. It was horribly designed. 3 turns of Night Fighting with a 66% chance for a 4th and 50% for a 5th is absurd. And on a spearhead deployment? Blow me.

Another thing that I found in this game, and my last game: Judges can really stink. Don't hold what they say as the correct answer because they may be entirely WRONG. One of the judges tried to tell my brother that Independent Characters did not count as a separate unit in close combat -_- . Seriously? That's a basic rule.

Maybe I am being slightly too critical, but I have plans and hopes to run some tournaments of my own at my favorite store Arkham Games. I just want to do the best job possible in this, and so I have the expectations for other TOs to strive for the same.

In any event, it was by far the toughest game I had all day. I love a challenge and Dameon certainly brought it. Kudos to the victory my friend! Oh, and thanks for the Frosty! :P

2 comments:

  1. Yeesh. That...is not a pleasant mission for a lot of armies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it. At least I wasn't a Guard player.

    ReplyDelete