Saturday, May 14, 2011

Overcoming Defeat


We have all had those games where we just got absolutely stomped by our opponent. You thought you had everything arranged perfectly, the list maximized, and it just all falls apart. It happens.

The important thing to do is to not let this defeat completely destroy yourself. Here are things I do when analyzing a defeat:

1. Calm Down- I know I don't think well when I'm feeling down. Sit down and relax.
2. Think about what happened: Pinpoint the problems. Was it deployment? Or the dice? What went wrong?
3. How can I change that?: List alterations? Strategy change? All of the options should be explored before simply giving up.

I have found that getting beaten hard can really show me more than winning easily. I learn wayyy more. The trick is to get the most out of it.

1 comment:

  1. Agreed on the sentiment; a crushing victory seldom teaches anything useful, while close games and defeats are much better for learning the strengths and weaknesses of your own army.

    ReplyDelete