Thursday, March 10, 2011

Well... time for some logical arguments..

http://forums.failgamers.com/showthread.php?2596-2nd-Annual-F.A.I.L.-Gamers-Birthday-Bash-Tournament!/page4

Start with Azrael's post and read on. This is my logical argument to the last post. I don't know if I care that much about the conclusion of this discussions, because things won't change. However, it is good mental exercise.

I have three reasons actually. I don't really think they will change your mind, but I will submit them as food for thought.

1. Lost Income: This argument is fairly simple. People who see that they are going to be at a disadvantage in the tournament because they are not a club member, will not likely want to participate. This is $25 dollars per person lost. That's 2.5 months of club membership for 1 or 2 days of gaming. I and my younger brother, for example, were (are? possibly) considering attending this event. That alone was $50 that the club did not earn. I don't really know how many people (and therefore money) you have lost on that issue alone, but $25 is quite a lot considering the amount paid by pre-existing club members [B]and[/B] not having any of the club benefits previously. Also, those individuals, who are new, may have a great time and love the club. But, if they aren't attending the initial event, how can they find that out?

2. Contributing with entry fee: This partly ties into number 1, but it follows a different line of logic, so I separated it.  So, if people are paying $25 dollars for the event hosted by FAIL, are they not inherently supporting FAIL? If your definition of supporting FAIL is giving money, those entries not already affiliated should be considered in support. Especially if current members get in for free. This does bring up the counter argument, however, that then those entering should be equated to 2.5 months of support in terms of determining coupons. This is a fair assertion.

3. Conflicting Ideals: The name of your club is Frederick [I]All Inclusive[/I] League of gamers. It would seem that your events should be all-inclusive. It seems contradictory to hold an event, and then publicly admit its in the favor of your club members. All-inclusive for people who give you money is not the same as all inclusive.

I don't mean to be a nuisance, but I just see some major issues with this event and its policies.

Sincerely,

Dobie Gillis.

No comments:

Post a Comment