Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Video Games...

..just don't cut it for me anymore. I haven't really had the urge to play a console game in a very long time. While I don't have a video game system here at college anyway, it doesn't bother me all that much anyway. Sure, I think having one wouldn't be a bad idea, and it may be a ton of fun. On the whole, however, I have noticed that my preferred games have been those that don't involve a screen.

My family can attest to the fact that I used to be obsessed with video games. I never liked to go outside or do anything else aside from sitting in my room and playing my Nintendo or Playstation. The trend seemed to continue for a long period of time, until I was introduced into Warhammer 40,000 by my cousins. The concept that games of such complexity and interest existed was beyond me. Of course, I knew there was Monopoly and Scrabble, but those didn't involve story or background. Once I found Warhammer, I looked into Dungeons and Dragons and other trading card games. The trend continued, and I found more friends than I ever had with video games. All of these games seem to have one thing in common: Human Interaction.

While the Internet has become an integral part of current console gaming, it still doesn't capture the feeling of actually speaking to a live being. You can talk about your epic kill streaks all you'd like, but your friend wasn't there to experience. With 40k, however, you can share the games and share the moments. It's a nice feeling. On the more negative side, the Internet can certainly allow for anonymous dicks to ruin your experience. Face to face, however, that person is very unlikely to behave in such a fashion. Social gaming adds to the positive experience, and it also reduces the negative experience.

I can easily say that these games have introduced me to a number of great friends, and I am very glad that I found these types of games. It has gotten me out of my room and out into society. I am glad for my friends and the enjoyment I have had with these games and them.

No comments:

Post a Comment